Miyerkules, Mayo 4, 2016

Exclusive Interview: Rebecca Trick, Assistant Project Manager at Mott Macdonald

Rebecca Trick was named Best Apprentice 25 and over at this year’s Women in Construction Awards.

Rebecca Trick, WIC Award winner

After moving from an engineering geologist to a project management role in construction, Rebecca is in the first six months of her career with Mott MacDonald, a global management, engineering and development consultancy. During this time, she has managed various multi-million pound education projects, all while studying for a MSc in construction project management. An advocate for women in this industry, Rebecca has given presentations to students from both her former school and university to help promote careers in construction to women. 

UK Construction Media spoke to Rebecca about the awards, her career and apprenticeships.

Firstly, congratulations on your WIC award – how did you find out you had been nominated and how did you feel?

Thank you! It’s a great award to receive. Initially it was a couple of my managers who informed me that I had been nominated. However it wasn’t until a friend forwarded me the awards shortlist that I truly comprehended the importance of the award and that I may actually have a chance of winning.

I feel absolutely overwhelmed and proud to have won the award. I have worked incredibly hard, both professionally and with my studies, to get where I am today so it feels great that Mott MacDonald has recognised my efforts to date.

Obviously winning is quite a big achievement – do you think your story could inspire other women into construction?

I really hope it does. Anything that can boost the various initiatives aimed at increasing the number of women in construction roles, especially on site, is beneficial in my opinion. I believe if other women hear stories similar to mine then it would show them that the industry isn’t as intimidating as some may think. Being such a diverse industry, construction requires a multitude of services and women are more than able to provide these as well as men.

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself – what inspired you to become a geologist and how did this lead into the construction world?

Growing up on the North Cornwall coastline really immersed me in the wonders and complexity of earth sciences. I was fascinated by all the elements and history behind them, which directed me into a geology and physical geography undergraduate programme.

During my last year of university I was introduced to geotechnical engineering, which inspired me to land the role of a graduate engineering geologist for a ground investigation contractor, where I soon realised the potential and variability of the construction industry. It was from here that I discovered that I was not only fascinated by the ground we build on, but all of the processes involved in the construction of buildings and infrastructure. This confirmed my aspiration to become a construction professional.

Was construction something you have always been interested in? If not, how was it sold to you?

Honestly, not really. The decisions I have made over the last few years have led me into the construction industry. I have to thank my university professor Jim Griffiths for really inspiring me to pursue a geotechnical route and initially selling the industry to me, however it’s not until recently when I gained a more comprehensive understanding of the immense scale of construction that I was really sold.

You have been on quite a steep career path since graduation – from geologist to now project manager. How have you progressed so far so quickly and are you enjoying a management role rather than being a scientist now? Also, how do you find it on site in charge of a male led arena?

I have been very committed to my career since graduating. I managed to secure a graduate project geologist role within a month of sitting my final exams which allowed me to gain invaluable experience early on in my career. A lot of new graduates don’t get this opportunity so I feel very lucky in this respect. I’m still open to new opportunities such as secondments abroad and different training opportunities, which is why I’m currently studying for my masters in construction project management part-time while working for Mott MacDonald.

I love being in a management role, which is very different from my previous site-based role, as I’m involved in a project’s entire lifecycle, from the science behind the ground investigation through design into construction.

I feel that I have really grown as a person since I first started working on site at 21. The confidence I have gained has helped me to earn the respect the various contractors I’ve worked with, despite being in the minority on site as I’m a woman. I am also now much more self-assured on site than when I started my career.

What do you think of the apprenticeship schemes – has it helped you in your career and did you find it worthwhile?

I can’t fault Mott MacDonald’s apprenticeship scheme. It has made a massive difference in my professional career to date and I’m confident that it will continue to do so as I complete my masters and Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors’ assessment of professional competence.  The support and opportunities I have received have been excellent and I would highly recommend it to anyone branching out into a new career route as I did.

Have you had a mentor throughout your career? If so how did this help?

Since joining Mott MacDonald, my line manager James Stone has offered me continuous support and mentoring which I am very grateful for. I have also received a lot of support from my family, teachers, university and other colleagues along the way.

What can be done to encourage more women into construction? And more apprentices into the industry in general?

More guidance should be given in secondary schools, showing the entry routes available and making it clear that construction is not just a man’s world. Female professionals should also visit schools if they have the time to help teenagers understand the different roles and responsibilities, especially in more rural areas where there isn’t much exposure to engineering and construction. Apprenticeships are possibly more important now than ever before given the high cost of university fees as they offer important vocational training and a wealth of experience from the onset.

What advice would you give to people wanting/or looking at getting into the construction industry – both men & women?

Not to give up. Once you find someone with faith in your capabilities and you get your foot in the door then the opportunities are endless.

Working within the public sector have you been involved in the BIM process and if so what do you think of this?

Yes I have. I think the collaborative nature and early design detection of BIM are great benefits that will keep being realised as it continues to be accepted by the construction industry. While its initial application is challenging to some, I do expect BIM to become a normal process that no one will think twice about. It will keep the industry moving in the right direction.

Do you see yourself staying in the construction industry? If so why and would you encourage others to the sector?

Yes I plan to stick with it. Given the variability of the industry it holds so many opportunities and routes for employees at every stage of their career.

 

The post Exclusive Interview: Rebecca Trick, Assistant Project Manager at Mott Macdonald appeared first on UK Construction Online.


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento